1) Vocabulary Builder: Find two words in the reading that you don't know. Look up each word in the dictionary. For each, write out the word, the definition, and a sentence that uses the word. Choose regular words, not social studies key terms that are boldfaced in the text.
2) Explain how Austria-Hungary, Germany, Russia, France, and Britain all got involved in the war.
3) Which countries made up the Central Powers? Which countries made up the Allies?
4) Answer both of the Geography Skillbuilder Questions using the map.
5) What was Germany's strategy at the beginning of the war? Did it succeed? Explain.
6) Describe the conditions in the trenches on the Western Front.
7) Describe some of the new military technology that was introduced during World War I.
8) What happened in the Battle of Verdun and the Battle of the Somme? Would it be fair to say that neither side won? Explain.
9) Which nations fought on the Eastern front? By 1916, which side do you think was winning?