In case you lost your hard copy, here's the Unit 1 Study Guide. DOUBLE HOMEWORK. Due Wednesday, 10/14.
Our first Notes Check is on Tuesday 10/13. I will be checking Notes 1.1 to 1.6. Click below for Notes Check Guidelines.
In case you lose your hard copy, here is how your essays will be evaluated this year:
Complete the Essay Planning Worksheet in preparation for Thursday's essay. Due Thursday
The following assignment is due Monday, 10/5
Read pages 629-634. Complete all questions in complete sentences on a sheet of loose leaf paper. You do not need to write out the questions... just answer them! Due Monday, 9/28.
1) Vocabulary Builder: Find two words in the reading that you don't know or are unsure of the meaning. Look up each word in the dictionary. For each, write out the word, the definition, and a sentence that uses the word. Choose regular words, not social studies key terms that are boldfaced in the text. Do NOT leave this blank because you think you know every word -- you WILL lose credit!
2) What was the Enlightenment? How was it similar to the Scientific Revolution? How was it different?
3) How did John Locke's view of human nature differ from that of Thomas Hobbes?
4) Who were the philosophes? Describe two of the five concepts that formed their core beliefs.
5) Read the chart on page 632. Which do you think are the two most important Enlightenment ideas? Explain your choices.
6) Who was Mary Wollstonecraft? Why might some women have been critical of the Enlightenment?
7) Identify and briefly describe the three lasting effects of the Enlightenment discussed in the text.
8) Creative Response: Imagine you are a social critic like the philosophes of the Enlightenment. Write a paragraph (at least 5 sentences) in which you criticize something that you think is wrong with RKA. Make sure you include your suggestion for how to improve the problem!
Please Note! Due to school events which have limited our class time, I have changed HW2. Ignore the textbook assignment on the HW strip. It will be re-assigned later. Instead, complete the following assignment. HW2 is due Tuesday 9/22.
Students have received a hard copy of this assignment. I'm posting it as well just in case.