1) Vocabulary Builder: Find three words in the reading that you don't know or are unsure of the meaning. Look up each word in the dictionary. For each, write out the word, the definition, and a sentence that uses the word. Choose regular words, not social studies key terms that are boldfaced in the text.
2) Explain how Napoleon was able to become dictator of France.
3) Describe the changes that Napoleon made within France. In your opinion, which change was most significant? Explain.
4) Napoleon's goal was to build a French empire. How successful had he been in his efforts by 1805? Explain.
5) Describe three military mistakes that Napoleon made.
6) Which one of these three mistakes do you think was most serious? Why?
7) Do you think Napoleon was a great leader? Explain.
8) Creative Response: Pretend you are a volunteer in Napoleon's army. Write a 1/2 page letter to a friend or family member explaining why you are willing to fight for Napoleon.