In case you missed any class notes, here are the PowerPoints for 7.8 & 7.9. Remember, Notes Check is Tuesday! -Mr. S
This assignment, along with HW21, is due Monday, May 2.
Read Mao Zedong's Speech at the Supreme State Conference (file attached). You have been put in charge of advertising for Mao's economic plans. Create a propaganda poster that communicates Mao's ideas to the Chinese people. Your poster should contain a picture as well as words. I have work samples from previous years if you need some inspiration!
Posters on clean white paper (NOT loose leaf) that include color will earn higher scores!
Read pp. 972-975. Answer all questions in complete sentences on loose leaf. Due Monday, May 2.
1. Vocabulary Builder: Find two words in the reading that you don't know. Look up each word in the dictionary. For each, write out the word, the definition, and a sentence that uses the word. Choose regular words, not social studies key terms that are boldfaced in the text.
2. Describe the actions of Jiang Jieshi and Mao Zedong during World War II.
3. What factors do you think were most responsible for Mao's victory over the Nationalists? Explain.
4. How did the division of China into two nations affect the Cold War? Describe the involvement of the two superpowers.
5. Create a chart entitled 'China Under Mao Zedong' with three headings: Territorial Expansion; Agriculture; and Industry. Take notes into the chart.
6. What were the goals of the Great Leap Forward? Why did it turn out to be a 'great leap backward'?
7. What was the goal of the Cultural Revolution? Who were the Red Guards?
8. Was the Cultural Revolution a success or a failure? Explain.
9. Which letter grade would you give Mao Zedong as a leader: A, B, C, D, or F? Consider his leadership during the Civil War, his postwar reforms, the Great Leap Forward, and the Cultural Revolution. Explain your grade in a paragraph of at least 5 sentences.
Please note: your next Notes Check will be on Tuesday, May 3, the second day after we return from Spring Break. I'll be checking Notes 6.4-6.7 and 7.1-7.9
In case you didn't get a hard copy, here's HW20. This is a double HW assignment, due Wednesday.
Read textbook pp. 1046-1051. Answer all questions in complete sentences on loose leaf paper. Due Friday.
1) Vocabulary Builder: Find two words in the reading that you don't know. Look up each word in the dictionary. For each, write out the word, the definition, and a sentence that uses the word. Choose regular words, not social studies key terms that are boldfaced in the text.
2) Why did Communist Party members select Mikhail Gorbachev as a leader? How was he different from previous leaders?
3) What does 'glasnost' mean? What changes did glasnost bring to the Soviet Union?
4) Write a paragraph that describes how Mikhail Gorbachev changed the Soviet economy, political system, and foreign policy.
5) What happened in March 1990? How did Gorbachev respond?
6) Who was Boris Yeltsin? What did he have in common with Gorbachev?
7) What major event happened in August 1991? What was the outcome?
8) By December 1991, the Soviet Union had split into 15 separate countries. Name all fifteen.
9) As president, how did Boris Yeltsin attempt to change Russia?
10) What were some problems that Vladimir Putin faced as president of Russia?
11) Opinion: Some people argue that Gorbachev's reforms led to another Russian Revolution. Do you agree? Explain in a paragraph at least 5 sentences long.
Print out the blank answer sheet. Using the reading, answer the questions in complete sentences in the spaces provided. This will become part of Notes 7.5. If you choose to complete the Extra Credit drawing, do so on a separate sheet of paper. Due Friday.